What is the #ItStartsWithYou initiative?
The concept of an education is understood differently across countries. For some children, education is apart of their daily routine. However the girls on our program recognise education and the knowledge gained through school as a privilege. Free To Shine recognises the importance an education plays in the lives of children everywhere and we want to represent this by passing on the gift of knowledge. If you received our #ItStartsWithYou card, pass it on to a family member or friend. Our aim is that by using a simple fact we can spark the conversation on the importance of girls education.
Did you know?
- If bees were paid the Australian minimum wage ($17 per hour), a jar of honey would cost $364,000.
- The average bee produces about 1/12th teaspoon of honey in her lifetime.
- The jobs honey bees are assigned, are based on age.
You are able to read these facts because you have access to education. However there are still 757 million adults who cannot read or write.
Did you also know?
- Human trafficking is estimated to be worth US $32 billion annually.
- Human trafficking occurs in 161 different countries.
- 2011 study by ECPAT Cambodia, around 75 percent of the victims of sex trafficking within Cambodia were children.
- The International Labour Organisation states that getting girls into school and keeping them there is vital in reducing their vulnerability to trafficking.
- The Asia-Pacific region accounts for 56% of the global total of trafficked persons.
With that knowledge you have the opportunity to make a change.
Pass this information on and help Free To Shine prevent sex trafficking through education empowerment.
Now it’s up to you!
1. Download your favourite poster from the selection below.
2. Print off the poster.
3. Gather your friends and/or family and take a photo with your favourite fact.
4. Upload to Facebook or Instagram and make sure to #ItStartsWithYou. If you want, provide a quick sentence about how you help to advocate against sex slavery.